21C Designs creates beautiful custom designed engagement rings from scratch. We are diamond experts and we strive to make the whole process simple and easy.
The first step is to pick your diamond.
When picking your diamond, of course, it goes without saying that you will need an idea of budget. Do you know what shape and size diamond you are looking for? Check out some of our favorite options.
- Round Brilliant — As classic as it gets, the round, brilliant cut is the only cut type that receives a grade on a diamond grading report from a gemological laboratory. Cuts with a grade of “Excellent” or “Ideal” will refract an incredible display of brilliant sparkle. So fiery and gorgeous!
- Emerald — The long, lean rectangular shape of an emerald cut offers a clean, architectural look. An emerald-cut diamond is not as flashy as a round brilliant stone, so they are great for brides who are more understated. Think Princess Grace, who had a stunning emerald cut ring from Cartier.
- Cushion — Romantic, vintage vibes. Defined by a square shape with slightly rounded corners, the cushion cut is a modern evolution of the classic Old Mine cut diamond. It has a soft silhouette but is faceted to display maximum sparkle and brilliance.
- Oval – Traditional with a twist! This reigning celebrity favorite elongates the finger, always “faces up” a little bit lager than its stated carat size and is wildly popular today.
The second step is to understand the characteristic makeup of the diamond and what is important to you.
- Carat Weight – The size of a diamond is measured in carats and carat refers to the weight of the diamond.
- Color – Diamonds are graded on a scale of D-Z, with D being “colorless” (the clearest, brightest, white) and the most highly prized.
- Clarity – Every diamond has inclusions—naturally forming “birthmarks” that can mar the appearance of your diamond and its ability to refract light. Clarity grades range from “IF” (i.e., internally flawless) to SI2 (lots of visible inclusions which look like black spots to the naked eye).
- Cut – Cut is what gives the diamond sparkle and brilliance. A well-cut stone has so much more life and brilliance then a poorly cut stone. 21C Designs selects stones that have been masterfully cut by the best in the business so that the brilliance factor is the star of the show.
The third step is designing the perfect setting to showcase your beautiful diamond.
21C Designs will present various styles for you to review. Once we’ve established your personal aesthetic, we will sketch up a beautiful design to match your vision. Here’s more on what to expect when you work with us on a custom design engagement ring: Thinking about a custom design engagement ring?